Most Active Stories
- Breaking Down India’s Caste System Through Education
- SLIDESHOW: StateImpact's Joe Wertz's Images From The May 20 Tornado
- Despite Opposition, State Education Officials Say Repeal Of Common Core Standards ‘Unlikely’
- Reporting Mexico’s Drug War From Oaxaca To Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Winter Weather Warning Issued For Most Of The State
Thu March 7, 2013
Anti-Horse Slaughter Groups Lobby Lawmakers
A legislative plan to pave the way for a horse slaughtering facility in Oklahoma is drawing fierce opposition from animal rights groups.
Several animal protection groups plan to rally at the state Capitol Thursday for "Humane Lobby Day" and urge legislators to oppose the bill to allow horse slaughtering in the state.
The bill keeps in place a ban on the sale of horse meat for human consumption in Oklahoma, but would authorize horse meat to be exported. The animal advocates also are urging support of a bill designed to improve the conditions of animal shelters in the state.
Politics and Government