Most Active Stories
- Breaking Down India’s Caste System Through Education
- SLIDESHOW: StateImpact's Joe Wertz's Images From The May 20 Tornado
- Despite Opposition, State Education Officials Say Repeal Of Common Core Standards ‘Unlikely’
- Reporting Mexico’s Drug War From Oaxaca To Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Winter Weather Warning Issued For Most Of The State
Wed October 9, 2013
Board Certifies Rogers County Grand Jury Petition
The Rogers County Election Board has certified a petition calling for a grand jury to investigate county officials, including District Attorney Janice Steidley.
The board verified 6,994 signatures on the petition turned in last week. Petitioners needed 4,487 verified signatures of registered voters to convene the grand jury.
The Claremore Daily Progress reports the election board spent four days verifying the signatures and eliminated 717 of the 7,711 submitted signatures.
The petition drive is backed by Rogers County Sheriff Scott Walton and others who allege corruption and misconduct in the district attorney's office. Steidley has denied all allegations and says the petition is politically motivated.
A hearing is set for 1 p.m. Oct. 18 on whether the grand jury should be convened to consider the matter.