Most Active Stories
- Breaking Down India’s Caste System Through Education
- SLIDESHOW: StateImpact's Joe Wertz's Images From The May 20 Tornado
- Despite Opposition, State Education Officials Say Repeal Of Common Core Standards ‘Unlikely’
- Reporting Mexico’s Drug War From Oaxaca To Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Winter Weather Warning Issued For Most Of The State
Politics and Government
Wed August 21, 2013
Ex-Oklahoma State Senator Arrested In Mississippi
The Mississippi state auditor says a former Oklahoma state senator has been arrested for embezzlement.
A news release from State Auditor Stacey Pickering's office says Jay Paul Gumm of Wiggins, Miss., was arrested last week for allegedly embezzling more than $24,000 from the Stone County Economic Development Partnership in Mississippi. Gumm is the former director of the partnership and is now free on $20,000 bond.
Pickering spokesman Brett Kittredge said Wednesday that Gumm is a former state senator from Durant, Okla.
Kittredge said it wasn't known if Gumm had a lawyer. Gumm had no listed telephone number.
Gumm served eight years in the Oklahoma Senate before being defeated for re-election in 2010.