Most Active Stories
- Breaking Down India’s Caste System Through Education
- SLIDESHOW: StateImpact's Joe Wertz's Images From The May 20 Tornado
- Despite Opposition, State Education Officials Say Repeal Of Common Core Standards ‘Unlikely’
- Reporting Mexico’s Drug War From Oaxaca To Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Winter Weather Warning Issued For Most Of The State
Wed October 23, 2013
Former Governor Henry Testifies At Trial
Former Oklahoma Gov. Brad Henry has testified in a former state legislator's felony bribery trial and told jurors he considers the defendant a friend.
Henry testified for about an hour Wednesday during the trial of former Republican state Rep. Randy Terrill. Terrill is charged with offering former state Sen. Debbe Leftwich an $80,000-a-year state job in exchange for Leftwich's promise not to run for re-election in 2010.
Prosecutors allege Terrill masterminded the scheme so that a Republican colleague of Terrill's could seek Leftwich's seat in south Oklahoma City. Both Terrill and Leftwich maintain their innocence.
Henry testified that he considers Terrill a friend and that he had no direct knowledge of a scheme to offer Leftwich a job in exchange for her not running for re-election.
KGOU is a community-supported news organization and relies on contributions from readers and listeners to fulfill its mission of public service to Oklahoma and beyond. Donate online, or by contacting our Membership department.