Most Active Stories
- Roland Clinic Draws Scrutiny From Oklahoma Drug Enforcers
- ‘Pride Of The Plains’: National Geographic Calls Oklahoma City ‘Best Trip’ Of 2015
- Christmas Bird Count In Oklahoma Starts At Chickasaw National Recreation Area
- ‘The Price Of Sex’: Documentary Sheds Light On International Sex Trade
- Bill Calls For Deregulation Of State-Produced Firearms
Firing Squad, Hanging Or The Electric Chair?
Tue June 10, 2014
GOP Lawmaker Eyes Firing Squad Option For Death Penalty
A Republican state representative from Oklahoma City says he plans to conduct a legislative study on possibly expanding Oklahoma's execution law to allow the firing squad, hanging or the electric chair.
Representative. Mike Christian said Tuesday that he's formally requesting an interim study on death penalty procedures in response to the botched execution of Clayton Lockett.
Representative Christian is a former Oklahoma Highway Patrolman. He says he believes the firing squad would be the most logical second option after lethal injection.
Christian is an outspoken supporter of the death penalty who called for the impeachment of state Supreme Court justices who supported a temporary stay of execution for Lockett earlier this year.
Lockett died after his execution was halted when prison officials determined the lethal injection drugs weren't being administered properly.