Most Active Stories
- Pro-Pot Petition Seeks To Decriminalize Cannabis In Oklahoma City
- SXSW Diary: Aereo, The Supreme Court And TV's Future
- VIDEO: Propane Prices Continue Drop, But Remain Much Higher Than In Any Other Year
- Oscar Talk: The Five Academy Award Nominees For Best Foreign Language Film
- OKC's Cheseapeake Energy Accused Of Collusion
Fri December 6, 2013
MAPS Turns 20
This month marks the 20th anniversary of the passage of the original Metropolitan Area Projects (MAPS) program.
By voting for a temporary one-cent sales tax, the citizens of Oklahoma City enabled the city to collect nearly $310 million dollars to help fund nine "quality of life" projects in downtown Oklahoma City.
The resulting development and renovations sparked a genuine revitalization of downtown Oklahoma City.
KGOU is a community-supported news organization and relies on contributions from readers and listeners to fulfill its mission of public service to Oklahoma and beyond. Donate online, or by contacting our Membership department.