Most Active Stories
- 1,400 Confirmed Dead In Nepal After Powerful Earthquake
- Spiked Cabbage And Blown Glass Among Attractions At Annual Oklahoma City Festival
- Landis: Saudi Arabia's New King Has Helped Put Syria's Assad On The Ropes
- Supreme Court To Hear Oklahoma Execution Protocol: Here's What You Need To Know
- How The 1970s Changed The Role Of Human Rights In U.S. Foreign Policy
Rep. Mike Ritze
Tue July 22, 2014
Oklahoma Legislator Wants Immigrant Children Quarantined
A state lawmaker who is one of two doctors in the Oklahoma Legislature is insisting that unaccompanied immigrant minors being housed at Fort Sill be quarantined.
Republican state Rep. Mike Ritze of Broken Arrow said Tuesday he wants the federal government to provide documentation that all of the children at Fort Sill have been medically screened and don't pose a health risk.
More than 860 minors are currently being housed at the southwest Oklahoma Army post near Lawton.
During a media briefing at the facility earlier this month, a U.S. Public Health Service official said all the children there had been medically screened.
In a letter to Ritze on Tuesday, Gov. Mary Fallin says she doesn't believe the current health concerns at Fort Sill have met the threshold for quarantine.
KGOU is a community-supported news organization and relies on contributions from readers and listeners to fulfill its mission of public service to Oklahoma and beyond. Donate online, or by contacting our Membership department.
Fallin Campaign Starts Online Petition