Most Active Stories
- Professor Argues In Favor Of Hobby Lobby's Supreme Court Case
- Challenge To Ten Commandments Monument Dismissed In Federal Court
- Tennis Ball-Sized Hail, Wildfires Possible As Cold Front Arrives In Oklahoma
- Before SAE, Ferguson Inspires University Of Oklahoma Minority Rights Group
- The 'Other' Parker Rice: How The OU Scandal Trapped A Student With The Same Name
Fallin Campaign Starts Online Petition
Mon July 21, 2014
Oklahoma's Republicans Want Temporary Shelters Closed At Fort Sill
Members of Oklahoma's all-Republican congressional delegation are urging President Barack Obama to reconsider using Fort Sill to house unaccompanied minors from Central America who have been caught trying to entering the country illegally.
U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe and all five of Oklahoma's U.S. House members released a joint statement on Monday opposing a decision by the Department of Defense to extend the use of temporary shelters at several military installations, including Fort Sill, through January 2015.
Hundreds of teenagers have been housed at a troop barracks at the southwest Oklahoma Army post after detention centers near the border were overwhelmed with an influx of young people crossing the border.
Also on Monday, Gov. Mary Fallin's campaign started an online petition demanding closure of the temporary shelter at Fort Sill.
Politics and Government