Most Active Stories
- Breaking Down India’s Caste System Through Education
- SLIDESHOW: StateImpact's Joe Wertz's Images From The May 20 Tornado
- Despite Opposition, State Education Officials Say Repeal Of Common Core Standards ‘Unlikely’
- Reporting Mexico’s Drug War From Oaxaca To Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Winter Weather Warning Issued For Most Of The State
Politics and Government
Wed July 10, 2013
Osage Nation Chief Under Attack
Osage Nation Principal Chief John Red Eagle has come under fire for abuse of power allegations. A motion submitted by Congressman William “Kugee” Supernaw, was approved by the Osage Congress yesterday.
A Select Committee of Inquiry will investigate the 15 allegations raised against Chief Red Eagle to see if sufficient grounds for removal exists. The Osage Nation Supreme Court has 10 days to appoint five members to the committee. Red Eagle said he looks forward to the opportunity to show that the allegations are unfounded. The committee may only meet when the Congress is in session, and a special session has been called for August 19th. If there are enough votes for removal, a public trial, presided over by an Osage Nation supreme court justice will go forward.