Most Active Stories
- Attorney General Eric Holder's Oklahoma City Police Cadet Graduation Speech Canceled
- Millions Of Pounds Worth Of Tornado Debris: Where Does It All Go?
- Dank: Oklahoma 'Wasted' $4.2M On 'August: Osage County'
- Elementary School Alternative To Land Run Reenactments Offers More Sides Of The Story
- Three Reasons Why American Artists Rarely Painted The Civil War
Mon February 10, 2014
Republicans Voting On Next Oklahoma House Speaker
The 72-member House Republican caucus is meeting behind closed doors to select the new Speaker of the House.
The House caucus is scheduled to meet at 10 a.m. Monday and will cast secret ballots to determine the winner.
Reps. Jeff Hickman of Fairview and Mike Jackson of Enid are vying for the post, one of the most powerful positions in state government. The speaker helps divvy up the state's $7 billion budget and helps shape the policy debate in the Legislature.
They will replace former Speaker T.W. Shannon, who announced last week he was stepping down to focus on his U.S. Senate race.
A third candidate, Rep. Jason Nelson of Oklahoma City, withdrew his name from consideration last week after acknowledging he didn't have enough votes.
KGOU is a community-supported news organization and relies on contributions from readers and listeners to fulfill its mission of public service to Oklahoma and beyond. Donate online, or by contacting our Membership department.