Most Active Stories
- For OU's Young Choreographers, Art Can Come From Daydreams
- Oklahoma City Zoo's New Baby Elephant Finally Has A Name, And It Is...
- Teacher Evaluation System Could Be Delayed Again
- Cherokee Makes A Living Map Showing Pre-Contact Native America
- 'Kings When It's Good': Oklahoma Braces For Possible Crude Crash
Thu October 17, 2013
Rogers County DA Files Defamation Lawsuit Over Recall Petition
District Attorney Janice Steidley has filed a defamation lawsuit against the Rogers County leaders who spearheaded a petition drive to get her removed from office.
Steidley filed the lawsuit Wednesday against Rogers County Sheriff Scott Walton, Claremore police officers John Singer and Steve Cox and others. The group gathered the nearly 7,000 signatures needed to impanel a grand jury, but a judge ruled this week that improper paperwork was used.
The Claremore Daily Progress reports that Steidley's lawsuit claims she and others in her office were wrongly and maliciously accused of criminal and civil misconduct.
The petition had asked for an investigation into allegations that Steidley tampered with witnesses, wiretapped courthouse employees along with an assistant district attorney, and sent threatening text messages to a deputy sheriff.