Most Active Stories
- Millions Of Pounds Worth Of Tornado Debris: Where Does It All Go?
- Dank: Oklahoma 'Wasted' $4.2M On 'August: Osage County'
- Elementary School Alternative To Land Run Reenactments Offers More Sides Of The Story
- Three Reasons Why American Artists Rarely Painted The Civil War
- Best Wishes To Kurt Gwartney
Fri August 23, 2013
Smoking Rates Fall ln Oklahoma
The state Health Department says the number of adult smokers in Oklahoma has dropped to historically low levels.
According to an emailed news release, Oklahoma ranks 39 nationally for adult smoking rates in 2012. The state came in at number 47 the year before. By percentages, 23.3 percent of adults were smokers in 2012.
Health Commissioner Terry Cline calls it “fantastic” that Oklahoma is out of the bottom ten state for smoking rates.
That health department says smoking is Oklahoma's leading preventable cause of death.
There were about 75,000 fewer adult smokers in 2012 than 2011, according to the health department. Also, the percentage of people who never smoked increased to more than 50 percent for the first time.
The most recent fiscal year also saw a 5.2 percent drop in the purchase of cigarette packs.
Will Rogers World Airport