Most Active Stories
- Mary Fallin In A Close Contest With Joe Dorman For Reelection
- Bureau Of Narcotics: Object To Initiative To Legalize Marijuana But Prepare For Passage
- UPDATE: Fallin's Office Says Barresi Will Not Be Secretary Of Education
- Gov. Fallin Says Gay Marriage Ruling Tramples States' Rights
- Why Oklahoma’s Wind Energy Future Could Be Shaped By Osage County
Fri January 24, 2014
State Reps. Lining Up For Oklahoma House Speaker Race
At least two key members of the Oklahoma House are lining up votes to be the chamber's next leader, anticipating that Speaker T.W. Shannon will launch a bid for the U.S. Senate and give up the House's top post days before the opening of the 2014 session.
Several House Republicans told The Associated Press on Thursday that Rep. Mike Jackson of Enid and Jason Nelson of Oklahoma City are working to secure votes in case of a potential speaker's race.
Nelson and Jackson both confirmed to the AP they would be interested in the post if Shannon steps down.
Shannon is considering whether to run for the U.S. Senate post being vacated by Sen. Tom Coburn, although he hasn't made a formal announcement.
KGOU is a community-supported news organization and relies on contributions from readers and listeners to fulfill its mission of public service to Oklahoma and beyond. Donate online, or by contacting our Membership department.