Most Active Stories
- Mary Fallin In A Close Contest With Joe Dorman For Reelection
- Bureau Of Narcotics: Object To Initiative To Legalize Marijuana But Prepare For Passage
- UPDATE: Fallin's Office Says Barresi Will Not Be Secretary Of Education
- Following Oklahoma's 2013 Tornadoes, Where Does Federal Aid Really Go?
- Gov. Fallin Says Gay Marriage Ruling Tramples States' Rights
Mon July 14, 2014
VIDEO: Canadian City Planner On What Oklahoma City Can Learn From Vancouver
Since 2002, Oklahoma City’s mayor has hosted a Development Roundtable to bring together local leaders and outside experts for conversation about the city’s expansion, progress, and improvement.
Mayor Mick Cornett hosted the 13th gathering May 7, with a keynote address by Larry Beasley, the retired Chief Planner for the City of Vancouver in British Columbia. In 2004 the Canadian government recognized him for turning Vancouver’s “downtown core into a vibrant, livable urban community.”
Watch the 2014 Oklahoma City Mayor's Development Roundtable below. Beasley's presentation "Livability and Sustainability—The Fundamental Shapers of Tomorrow’s Successful Cities" begins at 2:31, while his second address "Bringing People Home—Regeneration Through Repopulation: The Example of Vancouver’s “Living First Strategy” starts at 1:58:23.
KGOU is a community-supported news organization and relies on contributions from readers and listeners to fulfill its mission of public service to Oklahoma and beyond. Donate online, or by contacting our Membership department.