Most Active Stories
- For OU's Young Choreographers, Art Can Come From Daydreams
- Oklahoma City Zoo's New Baby Elephant Finally Has A Name, And It Is...
- Teacher Evaluation System Could Be Delayed Again
- Cherokee Makes A Living Map Showing Pre-Contact Native America
- 'Kings When It's Good': Oklahoma Braces For Possible Crude Crash
On April 5
Thu March 27, 2014
Westboro Baptist Church To Picket Outside Moore Liquor Store
A Kansas church noted for picketing the funerals of soldiers and AIDS patients plans to protest outside a Moore liquor store that held a sale following the death of the church's pastor.
Fred Phelps of the Westboro Baptist Church died March 19. The Moore Liquor Store offered 10 percent off champagne and erected a sign noting Phelps' death and said the sale was "not a coincidence."
Store owner Bryan Kerr told the Oklahoman newspaper that while some people didn't like the sign, "99 out of 100" people do support him.
The newspaper reported that church members plan to picket the store April 5 and sent a Twitter message Wednesday about the protest. The message was also sent to local media on Thursday.