Most Active Stories
- Mary Fallin In A Close Contest With Joe Dorman For Reelection
- Why Oklahoma’s Wind Energy Future Could Be Shaped By Osage County
- Bureau Of Narcotics: Object To Initiative To Legalize Marijuana But Prepare For Passage
- Fallin Rejects Ritze Call For ‘Catastrophic Health Emergency'
- This Week In Indian Country
JazzSet with Dee Dee Bridgewater
Thu June 20, 2013
Dee Dee Bridgewater On JazzSet
Originally published on Fri June 20, 2014 2:20 pm
Dee Dee Bridgewater's smile says it all: she's singing this week on JazzSet from the Caramoor Jazz Festival.
All summer, Caramoor presents chamber music, opera, Latin music, a resident orchestra and more — rain or shine. And it did rain in 2012, though the audience stayed dry under the Venetian Theater roof with Bridgewater and her awesome band.
Bridgewater's musical director is Edsel Gomez, arranger and pianist. He's her orchestra, pacesetter and descarga driver all in one. Craig "My Handyman" Handy on saxophone shadows and boxes with Bridgewater's voice. They revel in their closeness in "Besame Mucho." Michael Bowie played bass for Abbey Lincoln, one of Bridgewater's mentors and friends (as heard in her Tribute to Abbey on JazzSet). Bridgewater first heard Kenny Phelps in the house band at The Jazz Kitchen in Indianapolis. He was accompanying finalists in the American Pianists Association competition. She loved the pianists, and she got Phelps' phone number on the spot.
After Bridgewater's set at Caramoor, there was a moment backstage when she reunited with her dear friend Roy Haynes. Flashbulbs were popping as they admired each other's shoes. (Thanks to Richard Conde for the picture.)
The 2013 Caramoor Jazz Festival will be the 20th, and it's scheduled for July 26-28. Jim Luce produces the Caramoor Jazz Festival. Managing director is Paul Rosenbloom.
- "Lady Sings the Blues" (Billie Holiday)
- "A Foggy Day" (George & Ira Gershwin)
- "Fine and Mellow" (Billie Holiday)
- "Afro Blue" (Mongo Santamaria)
- "Besame Mucho" (Consuela Velazquez)
- "My Favorite Things" (Rodgers & Hammerstein)
Recording engineer and Surround Sound mixer is Duke Markos with on-location assistant Andrew T. Shire.