Most Active Stories
- For OU's Young Choreographers, Art Can Come From Daydreams
- Oklahoma City Zoo's New Baby Elephant Finally Has A Name, And It Is...
- Teacher Evaluation System Could Be Delayed Again
- Cherokee Makes A Living Map Showing Pre-Contact Native America
- 'Kings When It's Good': Oklahoma Braces For Possible Crude Crash
Toast Of The Nation
Wed January 1, 2014
Donald Harrison Quintet: Live At Berklee
Originally published on Thu June 19, 2014 4:19 pm
Since attending Berklee College of Music, alto saxophonist Donald Harrison has been a Jazz Messenger, a leading Young Lion, a New Orleans torchbearer, and a famed mentor for new talent. As a bandleader, he merges all that and more. Accompanied by a young rhythm section and fellow New Orleanian Detroit Brooks (guitar), the "King of Nouveau Swing" returns to his alma mater — where, incidentally he also played Toast of The Nation a decade ago. The concert, part of the First Night Boston festival, was hosted by Eric Jackson of WGBH.
- "Free To Be" (Harrison)
- "Nouveau Swing" (Harrison)
- "Quantum Leap" (Harrison)
- "Misty" (Burke/Garner)
- "The Sand Castle Head Hunter" (Harrison)
- "Hu Tah Nay"/"Hey Pocky Way" (Traditional)
- Donald Harrison, alto saxophone
- Detroit Brooks, guitar
- Zaccai Curtis, piano
- Max Moran, bass
- Joe Dyson, drums
Antonio Oliart/WGBH, mix engineer. Recorded Dec. 31, 2013.