Most Active Stories
- For OU's Young Choreographers, Art Can Come From Daydreams
- Oklahoma City Zoo's New Baby Elephant Finally Has A Name, And It Is...
- Teacher Evaluation System Could Be Delayed Again
- Cherokee Makes A Living Map Showing Pre-Contact Native America
- 'Kings When It's Good': Oklahoma Braces For Possible Crude Crash
Fri August 15, 2014
Freshman Running Back Charged With Misdemeanor Assault
Oklahoma freshman running back Joe Mixon, the school's top recruit, has been charged with misdemeanor assault.
The charge was handed down Friday by the Cleveland County District Attorney's office. He is accused of punching a woman during an argument, knocking her unconscious and breaking several bones in her face.
Mixon has not participated in team activities since July 25, when Norman police say a woman at a local restaurant was hit in the face by Mixon. The school has yet to make a decision regarding Mixon's eligibility.
On signing day, Mixon was listed as Rivals.com's No. 1 running back and 247sports.com's No. 1 all-purpose back. As a senior at Freedom High School in Oakley, California, he gained nearly 2,100 yards and scored 30 touchdowns from scrimmage.
KGOU is a community-supported news organization and relies on contributions from readers and listeners to fulfill its mission of public service to Oklahoma and beyond. Donate online, or by contacting our Membership department.