Most Active Stories
- Pro-Pot Petition Seeks To Decriminalize Cannabis In Oklahoma City
- SXSW Diary: Aereo, The Supreme Court And TV's Future
- OKC's Cheseapeake Energy Accused Of Collusion
- New Speaker Of The House Hickman Announces Changes In Leadership
- Oscar Talk: The Five Academy Award Nominees For Best Foreign Language Film
Says Cuts Would Be Unsafe For Aviation
Thu January 9, 2014
Inhofe Wants Full Funding For Airport Towers
U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe is pushing his Senate colleagues for full funding of a Federal Aviation Administration program that funds 149 contract towers at airports across the country.
Inhofe announced in a press release Thursday that he and West Virginia Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin sent a letter to leaders of the Senate Appropriations Committee and a subcommittee on transportation funding, urging them to fully fund the Contract Tower Program.
Inhofe touted the cost effectiveness of the contract towers, which were targeted for funding elimination as a result of the mandatory sequestration cuts last year.
A longtime pilot, Inhofe said the cuts would hinder the "safety and integrity of general aviation operations."
KGOU is a community-supported news organization and relies on contributions from readers and listeners to fulfill its mission of public service to Oklahoma and beyond. Donate online, or by contacting our Membership department.