Most Active Stories
- Dank: Oklahoma 'Wasted' $4.2M On 'August: Osage County'
- Best Wishes To Kurt Gwartney
- Elementary School Alternative To Land Run Reenactments Offers More Sides Of The Story
- How Abraham Lincoln Used 701 Words To "Bind Up The Nation's Wounds"
- Send In Your Photos: Oklahoma Tornado Project To Host Photo Exhibit On May 2013 Storms
Says Cuts Would Be Unsafe For Aviation
Thu January 9, 2014
Inhofe Wants Full Funding For Airport Towers
U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe is pushing his Senate colleagues for full funding of a Federal Aviation Administration program that funds 149 contract towers at airports across the country.
Inhofe announced in a press release Thursday that he and West Virginia Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin sent a letter to leaders of the Senate Appropriations Committee and a subcommittee on transportation funding, urging them to fully fund the Contract Tower Program.
Inhofe touted the cost effectiveness of the contract towers, which were targeted for funding elimination as a result of the mandatory sequestration cuts last year.
A longtime pilot, Inhofe said the cuts would hinder the "safety and integrity of general aviation operations."
KGOU is a community-supported news organization and relies on contributions from readers and listeners to fulfill its mission of public service to Oklahoma and beyond. Donate online, or by contacting our Membership department.