Most Active Stories
- Roland Clinic Draws Scrutiny From Oklahoma Drug Enforcers
- ‘Pride Of The Plains’: National Geographic Calls Oklahoma City ‘Best Trip’ Of 2015
- Christmas Bird Count In Oklahoma Starts At Chickasaw National Recreation Area
- ‘The Price Of Sex’: Documentary Sheds Light On International Sex Trade
- Bill Calls For Deregulation Of State-Produced Firearms
Newport Folk Festival
Sun July 28, 2013
JD McPherson, Live In Concert: Newport Folk 2013
Originally published on Fri June 20, 2014 2:35 pm
JD McPherson provides a refreshing reminder that retro roots music isn't timid: His debut album, Signs & Signifiers, synthesizes blues and rockabilly and old-school rock 'n' roll with an unmistakable punk spirit. Throughout the record, he finds the delicate balance between a classic, traditionalist sound and the understanding that the styles he's emulating are rooted in rebellion, menace and even danger.
McPherson, who recorded Signs & Signifiers on old analog equipment, really brings home his raw aesthetic on the live stage. On this page, he performs as part of the 2013 Newport Folk Festival, recorded live on Friday, July 26 in Newport, R.I.
- "Dimes For Nickels"
- "Further On Up The Road" (Bobby 'Blue' Bland cover)
- "Country Boy"
- "I Can't Complain"
- "Signs & Signifiers"
- "Fire Bug"
- "Abigail Blue"
- "A Gentle Awakening"
- "North Side Gal"
- "Wolf Teeth"