Most Active Stories
- Pro-Pot Petition Seeks To Decriminalize Cannabis In Oklahoma City
- SXSW Diary: Aereo, The Supreme Court And TV's Future
- VIDEO: Propane Prices Continue Drop, But Remain Much Higher Than In Any Other Year
- Oscar Talk: The Five Academy Award Nominees For Best Foreign Language Film
- OKC's Cheseapeake Energy Accused Of Collusion
Thu March 14, 2013
Samsung To Unveil Galaxy S4
Originally published on Thu March 14, 2013 8:34 am
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
NPR's business news starts with Samsung's new star.
At least the company hopes it is a star. Samsung is planning to unveil its new Galaxy S4 smartphone tonight in New York City, throwing down a new challenge to Apple's iPhone. The new Galaxy will be the flagship device on Google's Android platform, which dominates the smartphone market.
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
Samsung is now the sales leader for the industry, selling almost 385,000,000 cell phones last year.
MONTAGNE: Apple rarely talks about its marketing strategy, but yesterday Apple's marketing chief gave an interview talking up customer satisfaction with the iPhone.
INSKEEP: And what do you know, he didn't like the Android. He called the Android experience, quote "simply not as good as an iPhone."
MONTAGNE: Apple has good reason to be on the attack. Its shares are down 15 percent this year alone. Meanwhile, Samsung's profits have been soaring. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.