Most Active Stories
- Pro-Pot Petition Seeks To Decriminalize Cannabis In Oklahoma City
- SXSW Diary: Aereo, The Supreme Court And TV's Future
- VIDEO: Propane Prices Continue Drop, But Remain Much Higher Than In Any Other Year
- Oscar Talk: The Five Academy Award Nominees For Best Foreign Language Film
- OKC's Cheseapeake Energy Accused Of Collusion
The Checkout: Live
Thu May 2, 2013
Boom Tic Boom: Live From 92Y Tribeca
Originally published on Thu June 13, 2013 9:11 am
Drummer Allison Miller, a go-to choice for jazz heavies and arena-level singer-songwriters alike, has made time to cultivate her own working band in the past few years. Boom Tic Boom features some of her favorite female instrumentalists in pianist Myra Melford and violinist Jenny Scheinman, as well as a long-running partner-in-crime in bassist Todd Sickafoose, and it interprets her jaunty tunes with plenty of headroom for any onomatopoeia from her percussion palette. And it's just released a second album — third if you include a live double LP — called No Morphine, No Lilies.
Boom Tic Boom followed the quartet Sexmob onstage at 92Y Tribeca in downtown New York City as part of the WBGO concert series The Checkout: Live. WBGO and NPR Music presented a live radio broadcast and online video webcast of both sets. For the full concert archive of this series, visit npr.org/checkoutlive.
All compositions by Allison Miller unless otherwise indicated.
- "Pork Belly" [video highlight]
- "Early Bird"
- "Speak Eddie"
- "The Itch"
- "The Kitchen" (Melford)
- "Big And Lovely"
- "Spotswood Drive" [encore]
- Allison Miller, drums
- Kirk Knuffke, cornet
- Myra Melford, piano
- Todd Sickafoose, bass
- Rachel Friedman, voice
Producer and Host: Josh Jackson; Audio Engineer: David Tallacksen; Production Assistant: Michael Downes; Video Director: Stew Nachmias. Recorded May 8, 2013 at 92Y Tribeca in New York, N.Y.