Most Active Stories
- Mary Fallin In A Close Contest With Joe Dorman For Reelection
- Bureau Of Narcotics: Object To Initiative To Legalize Marijuana But Prepare For Passage
- UPDATE: Fallin's Office Says Barresi Will Not Be Secretary Of Education
- Following Oklahoma's 2013 Tornadoes, Where Does Federal Aid Really Go?
- Gov. Fallin Says Gay Marriage Ruling Tramples States' Rights
Thu April 10, 2014
Sparks Out, Bass In As Oklahoma Senate Democratic Leader
Democratic state Sen. Randy Bass of Lawton has been tapped to lead Senate Democrats after the 2014 elections, ousting the caucus' previous selection of a state senator from Norman.
Both Bass and state Sen. John Sparks confirmed to The Associated Press Thursday the 12-member Senate Democratic caucus had selected Bass to be minority leader-elect in the fall, but declined to discuss the matter further.
Bass said the caucus would release a joint statement after candidate filing ends on Friday.
Both Sparks and Bass were vying to replace Claremore attorney Sen. Sean Burrage, who is resigning.
Sparks was picked in February as the Democrats' next leader, but wrote a newspaper editorial two weeks ago supporting a generous tax incentive for the oil and gas industry that many Democrats oppose.