Most Active Stories
- For OU's Young Choreographers, Art Can Come From Daydreams
- Oklahoma City Zoo's New Baby Elephant Finally Has A Name, And It Is...
- Teacher Evaluation System Could Be Delayed Again
- Cherokee Makes A Living Map Showing Pre-Contact Native America
- 'Kings When It's Good': Oklahoma Braces For Possible Crude Crash
Live At The Village Vanguard
Fri March 22, 2013
Tom Harrell's 'Colors Of A Dream': Live At The Village Vanguard
Originally published on Wed July 9, 2014 8:42 am
At 66, the jazz trumpeter Tom Harrell is as busy as ever: His current band has released five excellent albums since 2007 alone. (It performed for this concert series in 2009.) He's so prolific that he's been writing and arranging music for other ensembles all the while. Last year, Harrell presented a nine-piece chamber jazz ensemble, and he's been at work on a new, piano-less project. That band, called Colors of a Dream, supplements most of his working quintet with new additions — saxophonist Jaleel Shaw and bassist/singer Esperanza Spalding.
A veteran of bandleaders like Horace Silver and Phil Woods, Harrell visits the Village Vanguard to present the next step in his now-hefty solo discography. WBGO and NPR Music featured Colors of a Dream in a live online video webcast and radio broadcast.
All compositions by Tom Harrell.
- "Phantasy In Latin"
- "2013 Blues"
- "Sail Away"
- "Nite Life"
- Tom Harrell, trumpet/flugelhorn
- Jaleel Shaw, alto saxophone
- Wayne Escoffery, tenor saxophone
- Esperanza Spalding, bass/vocals
- Ugonna Okegwo, bass
- Johnathan Blake, drums