Most Active Stories
- No Laptops, No Wi-Fi: How One Cafe Fired Up Sales
- Anadarko’s $5 Billion Environmental Settlement: Four Things Okies Should Know
- State House Votes To Deny Cities Wage Setting Power
- City Of Norman Awaiting Permit To Sell Reclaimed Water So Frackers Don’t Have To Use Drinking Water
- “Our People, Our Land, Our Images” Features The Perspectives Of Indigenous Photographers
Year In Review
Tue December 31, 2013
VIDEO: Oklahoma Sports, Entertainment Suffered Losses In 2013
The football coach who installed the wishbone at the University of Oklahoma, a former OU quarterback, an Oklahoma State basketball legend and one of America's first great ballerinas were among those with ties to Oklahoma who died during 2013.
Chuck Fairbanks installed the wishbone in 1970 and the offense helped OU to national titles in 1974 and 1975 after Fairbanks left for the NFL. Fairbanks died in April at age 79.
Steve Davis quarterbacked those championship teams. He was killed in a plane crash in March in Indiana.
7-foot basketball center Bob Kurland died in September at age 88. He led Oklahoma A&M — which is now Oklahoma State — to national basketball titles in 1945 and 1946.
Ballerina Maria Tallchief died in Chicago in April at age 88.