KGOU has the following professional full time opening:
StateImpact Oklahoma News Reporter
Reports to: StateImpact Oklahoma editor
StateImpact Oklahoma seeks a curious, eager and enterprising reporter to join a team of journalists tasked with investigating, exploring and explaining how government policy shapes people’s lives and livelihoods in Oklahoma.
In this position, you’ll lead coverage of issues and topics vitally important to all Oklahomans, and uncover stories that illustrate the impact of government, policy and powerful institutions — and hold them accountable.
You’ll cover politicians, legislators and elected officials, but your stories won’t be centered at the state capitol or the mayor’s office, and will instead focus on the people and the communities, neighborhoods and businesses affected by government decision-making.
You’ll file radio stories, but will also be innovative with digital media, visual journalism and social media. You’ll use data and file open-records requests, ask tough questions and knock on doors. The stories you tell will be essential in Oklahoma and across the nation. You’ll probe and chase stories that explore national trends for audiences, outlets and shows that work in collaboration and partnership with StateImpact Oklahoma.
We believe in the mission of nonprofit, public service journalism, and empowering journalists to create impactful, ambitious, unique work, and we’re committed to standards that champion collaboration, creativity, accountability and precision.
We are looking for an eager collaborator and natural team-player excited to work with other reporters, editors and staff in producing ambitious enterprise journalism.
StateImpact Oklahoma is an award-winning collaboration of NPR member stations (KGOU, KOSU, KWGS and KCCU) in Oklahoma with a weekly audience of almost 230,000 listeners and more than one million unique digital readers.
Required Skills and Proficiencies:
- Work independently and collaboratively with editor and other reporters to find, research, report and produce stories
- Develop in-depth reports on complex issues, policies and trends
- Help plan and execute political and election coverage
- Produce work in multiple formats, using a variety of tools, including digital, broadcast spots, features, documentaries, podcasts, blogs, live two-ways, video, social and live events
- Maintain exceptional news judgement and analysis, high journalistic and ethical standards and commitment to accuracy, fairness and precision
- Provide general assignment and breaking news coverage, as needed
- Maintain excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Represent StateImpact Oklahoma on outside media programs and at community events
- Interact with new and diverse audiences through social media and direct community engagement
- Exhibit familiarity with audio and visual editing and general office software
Required Certifications, Registrations or Licenses:
- Bachelor's Degree in Journalism or Communications OR equivalent combined education and work experience AND 24 months of journalism experience in government, public policy and political news reporting.
- Five years' reporting experience
- Experience in the dominant political, social and cultural issues in Oklahoma
- Demonstrated experience at developing a major journalism specialty
- Demonstrated familiarity with StateImpact member stations' on-air and online programming
- Demonstrated experience with innovative multimedia journalism, including projects that creatively and effectively use digital, audio, visual, social media, data or live events
The position is open until filled. Review of applications expected to begin August 14, 2017, and the anticipated start date is September 18, 2017. The hourly salary range is up to $20.15. The University of Oklahoma offers excellent fringe benefits. KGOU Radio at The University of Oklahoma is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Applicants MUST apply for this position online at https://jobs.ou.edu, job requisition #171980 or use the direct link https://ou.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=171980&tz=GMT-05%3A00. For further information on this or other OU job opportunities, please call (405) 325-1826, or access our web site at http://hr.ou.edu/.
KGOU provides internship opportunities for students at the University of Oklahoma.
Thank you for your interest. KGOU supports equal employment opportunities and works against discrimination in employment. KGOU operates within the principles outlined in the University of Oklahoma’s Office of Equal Opportunity.
KGOU Radio at The University of Oklahoma is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.